Sunday, May 18, 2008

6-Max Limit Hold'em

Even though I mainly play heads-up, I still play some 6-max from time to time. Since I do not rely on 6-max as my main source of income, I can practice excellent table selection. Whenever I don't find any good table, I simply don't play and go do something else. I usually play $5/$10 and $8/$16 whenever I can find a good game. Actually, these good $5/$10 games are practically always better than any $2/$4 and $3/$6 games. At $3/$6 and below, there are lots of nitty TAG's who are just grinding. At $5/$10, there are many gamblers resulting in much better games.

Lagging things up

I am also experimenting with playing a looser and more aggressive preflop style in 6-max. I used to play a simple TAG style, which is profitable with good table selection. But after watching a few interesting video's on DeucesCracked, I have decided to give this more LAG style a try. I already knew that at $15/$30 and above, the basic TAG style would be unable to yield much profit. But I always though that at $3/$6, this style would be unprofitable due to the high rake. Maybe I was wrong...

I am going to experiment with this style at $2/$4 for a while. I have now played around 1000 hands playing like this and the style feels right. Of course, I am still making some mistakes which are mostly due to the fact I am used to dealing with HU ranges, not tighter 6-max ranges. But I feel confident I can make the necessary adjustments. If this style works even at $2/$4, I'm just going to make this my basic 6-max style. This style does result in higher variance but the variance is still nothing compared to HU. Besides, playing like nit is just really boring. ;)

To summarize the benefits if this preflop style:
1) More fold equity postflop.
2) Opponents play more strait forward.
3) Get more action on your good hands due to a LAG table image.
4) Play more pots against bad players.

This style will put my VP$IP somewhere around 35% with a PFR of 25% (maybe even more). Quite a bit more LAG than my usual 25/18 style. I'm interested what my went to showdown percentage will be. I am perfectly capable of showing down 42% of my hands but I don't thing it will be that high, at least not at $2/$4. I suspect it will be something like 36% at $2/$4, adding an extra percent for every limit you go up. (depending on average table composition)

No comments: